Brian Shaler

Occasionally Interesting

Gravity is for chumps

Why the New Blog?

I have decided to move my blog from Brian.Shaler.name to BrianShaler.com as part of a restructuring and re-purposing of the former. The idea is that I can focus Brian.Shaler.name as the professional side of my web presence, while BrianShaler.com will be more casual.

It seems fitting to have one location for showcasing projects (both commercial and for-fun) and another for sharing my thoughts. After all, the purpose of my web presence is to establish a brand around my name.

By moving this blog to its own location, I should be able to post more freely, without having to take into consideration the professional atmosphere of the site. Think of it as Brian.Shaler.name being a company/brand site and BrianShaler.com being the site of its one employee.

This should result in more frequent posts and more conversation.

8 Responses to “Why the New Blog?”

1. September 29th, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Charles says:

Makes perfect sense to me. I had to refocus my main site to its purpose (food & travel) and move my opinion off to its own. As well as another for my I LOATHE NY, because while it’s about, food and travel, it focuses on one location and finding things to like in a place I hate.

2. September 29th, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Shawno says:

You’re the only person I know of who is using a .name domain. I know that means absolutely nothing, but I thought I’d mention it, anyway.

3. September 29th, 2007 at 9:07 pm

David Litsky says:

Brian,

Glad to see that I am not the only person to maintain a “dual blog identity”. A few months ago I started a second blog to do the same thing. My blog at http://davidlitsky.com/ has become my personal blog, and the bootstrap economist has become my professional blog. My strategy is to get the conversation going in a blog format, and I can add to either domain down the road as I build out my sites accordingly.

David

4. September 29th, 2007 at 11:57 pm

Adam Nollmeyer - Phoenix Photographer says:

Brian,

Hey, This totally makes sense although I also agree with Shawno as you are the only person I know who uses .name (that I know of).

Because .com is more common, I would think that .com would make a great “corporate Brian Shaler” brand and the .name could make for a great blog. That’s my take, however it would be harder to switch as the .name is already the corporate you.

~Adam N.

5. September 30th, 2007 at 4:47 am

Brian says:

Thanks guys.

Adam, I agree about .com being better suited for the professional branding perspective. The .name top level domain itself is intended for personal usage. However, you clearly realized the dilemma I faced with the .name already being my ‘home base’ for my branding efforts.

When life gives you lemons..

6. September 30th, 2007 at 5:55 am

Chuck Reynolds says:

Hey Brian, I’m dealing with the same issues and thoughts and shut down my successful adsense generating blog about 3 years ago to clear out the SERPs the best I can. I don’t know if “personal branding” is a legit keyphrase at the moment but I see how important it is to secure your name and your personal brand.
    I’m wrapping up the final stuff on my blog and should launch soon, but I’ll have a similar post explaining what’s on my mind. Lol
    Good luck with both, see ya around.

7. September 30th, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Angsuman Chakraborty says:

I think it would serve you better to use the .com domain for business and .name for personal thoughts in accordance with the original purpose of these TLD’s and common usage.

8. September 30th, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Captinherb says:

This probably won’t have any effect on DiggTaggr though, will it? I’ve left it installed, just hoping :)