Brian Shaler

Occasionally Interesting

Gravity is for chumps

Impromptu, Unsanctioned “Social Media Breakfast” in San Francisco

It is Friday, and I am half-way through my March trip to San Francisco. I made sure my return flight is Saturday night so I have all day Saturday to hang out with people I know in the area and meet some new people.

I missed the first Social Media Breakfast in Phoenix, AZ, and noticed that San Francisco was not listed as a SMB city. I figured Saturday morning would be a great time to try it out!

8:30am-10:30am Saturday, March 22nd, 2008
Town’s End Restaurant & Bakery
2 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA

To RSVP, go to the Upcoming event: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/460948 (You can still show up if you don’t RSVP, but if we can’t get a bigger table at the last minute…. Oh well..)

Here is a map: Town’s End Restaurant & Bakery

Bonus!
Breakfast is on me (within reason, like $20 each) for the top 3 most-followed Twitter users who show up. Ideally, we’ll verify by sending a text message from your phone to 40404 (Twitter) with “stats” and see what number it returns. It’s a good way to verify that you own the account and that we are comparing the latest stats on your account.

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “Impromptu, Unsanctioned “Social Media Breakfast” in San Francisco”

1. March 21st, 2008 at 7:38 pm

James says:

How do people find out about things such as the social media breakfast?

I find it ironic that I tend to have a hard time getting clear reliable information about these events; you would think these would have the whole Make It Easy To Be Known thing down pat.

2. March 21st, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Rishi says:

I picked up on it from twitter tracking “san francisco.”
    twitter tracking: http://blog.twitter.com/2007/09/tracking-twitter.html

unfortunately i don’t think i’ll be there :(

3. March 21st, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Brian says:

I agree that it is pretty difficult to get the word out quickly about an event regarding something as broad as “Social Media”. In many cases, though, the whole “Make It Easy To Be Known” thing works impressively well. For example, in Phoenix, with a small geographical community of Twitter users, I have seen good sized groups show up to various “TweetUps”. That’s because the targets are all members and active users of the notification system.

Even if there was a system for managing meet-ups like this one, it would be yet another service for people to register for and keep track of.

4. March 22nd, 2008 at 5:49 am

Bryan Person, Social Media Breakfast founder says:

Hey there, Brian. Good to see that you’re throwing an impromptu SMB in San Francisco. I’m so pleased to see this breakfast series spreading around the country — and the world (Singapore will be holding an SMB on March 29).

I’ll set up you with an account on the SocialMediaBreakfast.com blog, too, so that you can post a recap of the event.

Hope it goes well!

5. March 22nd, 2008 at 7:26 am

Social Media Breakfast San Francisco Saturday, March 22, 2008 says:

[...] Shaler has announced an “impromptu, unsanctioned” Social Media Breakfast in San Francisco this morning, Saturday, March 22, [...]